Monday, January 4, 2010

Early Bird Crit Series

So apparently we have it good up here in Northern California because fellow blogger and good friend Chcuk from Las Vegas told me they don't have any kind of mentoring experiences you can take part in, when he was starting out as a cat5 around the Southern California area. Maybe they do now? Anyway, it was real cool to see everyone come out bright and early on the cold Sunday morning. Many eager riders/racers including myself were there to get a feel for what it's like racing in a crit. You could tell that everyone who was there wanted to be there to race and learn a thing or two. Before the race actually started the "mentors" went over more basics similar to what I learned at the race clinic last month. Then it was straight into the race for 40 mins w/ a 5 lap countdown to the finish. Hung in there, tried to stay up with the first 10 guys or so the whole time and didn't do too bad. As the race went on, I realized the time to assert yourself and make the move towards the front of the pack was right when you went into the turn and then pedaled through it. For a split second it's like everyone gets split and you can have at it position wise... for this race at least. Looking forward to next Sunday again! Davis and Saskia snapped some photos. (Yeah yeah I know, I forgot my matching bib at my parents' house!)

(EDIT: If you raced this race and are starting out as a Cat5 like myself, hit me up and let's go ride! Looking for others to ride/train with as I am not on a team... hocroad@gmail.com)













2 comments:

  1. Would you happen to have more photographs of Mission Cycling riders from the Category 5 race? It would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

    Eugene
    photobyeugenekim@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Eugene, the pics posted are all the ones my friends got that day, sorry. maybe this upcoming weekend and the following races, I will tell them to take more pics of the different riders. are you the Asian guy with the long hair on the Lemond?

    thanks for posting a comment!

    -Joe

    ReplyDelete